Aging changes not just how your skin looks and appears; it can also alter your body shape. As you age, you may start to burn fewer calories, lose muscle mass, and put on more weight. This makes it important to strive to keep a healthy weight, which varies from person to person.
You can check your body mass index (BMI) or measure your waist circumference to know if you are at a healthy weight.
- BMI. This is a measure of body fat using your weight and height. The ideal BMI score for most adults is between 18.5 and 24.9. The overweight range is 25 to 29.9, while the obese range is 30 to 39.9. You can measure your BMI using this calculator.
- Waist circumference. This is a measure of your waist to know if you carry excess fat. A waist circumference that goes beyond 40 inches (for men) and 35 inches (for women) means higher risk for some health conditions.
Risks of diabetes
Adult care specialists in Lehi such as those from Revere Health note that carrying extra weight increases your risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and bone problems.
Keeping a regular exercise routine and eating smart can help you maintain a healthy weight, along with the benefit of preserving your bone and muscle.
The right weight
In some other cases, being underweight can also be a concern. This is usually associated with having an illness or not eating enough foods that contain nutrients. This can be a real problem, as it can weaken your immune system and make you susceptible to infection and other health concerns.
Here are few suggestions to help you maintain a healthy body weight:
- Eat nutrient-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, seafood, lean meats, and others.
- Consume less sugary foods and sweetened beverages, as well as products made from refined grains.
- Control your portion sizes and avoid eating in front of the TV or computer.
- Plan your meals and eat with family or people you enjoy.
You can also ask your doctor about healthy eating plans. Consulting a healthcare provider is also important, especially if you experience chewing difficulties or loss of appetite.